Friday, February 7, 2014

freewriting 2-7-2014

One thing that I will never understand is the people who are just downright rude. I work in a jewelry store and some of the people that I work with, along with our customers are extremely arrogant.  Never in my life have I ever understood how someone can say “uhm can you listen to what I am saying? You’re not listening to me.” to the person that is helping them. I’m not saying that I am perfect, because I have had my fair share of mean moments.  I can tell you, however, that ever since I have worked in retail, my manners have improved quite a lot. 
Discipline is a key factor in being a sales associate.  When I see bad customer service, I just want to rip my hair out.  There have actually been times where I have gotten calls from women saying that they will never step foot in my store again because the manager was rude to them.  The only problem with that is that I don’t know whether the person I’m on the phone with is exaggerating, or if my manager really was awful to them.
Thankfully, almost every single customer that I have helped tells me that I have brightened their day somehow because I was really helpful and nice to them.  There was one time that I was helping a guy find a present for his girlfriend and when I was ringing him up he just stopped and smiled, and proceeded to tell me “you know, Erika, you are seriously the nicest sales person that has ever helped me. The world needs more people like you. Thank you.”  Ever since that day, I have been nice to every customer that has walked through our doors. Now, I’m not saying that I wasn’t nice to the others, but I’ve just made sure to be as nice as possible.  You never know how much a simple smile can mean to somebody. 

No comments:

Post a Comment